Google

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Opencart vs. Magento: More Discussions

 

It is really based on each one's expectations to  choose which Open source ecommerce shopping cart to be used. They are actually very different.

For instance,  Magento has alot more features "out-of-the-box" than Open Cart, from the outset this software appears to be ideal. It’s very much geared for the modern web developer with it’s trendy feel, complete with snazzy design and gradients on the demo store.

BUT, Magento is a lot more complicated and alot more resource hungry.

Some considerations:
1. Magento requires a fast host which has been optimised for Magento. This host costs loads more than than your average host that can host Opencart.

2. Magento requires lots of time to understand and modify the layout.
Try out Opencart on a free hosting account and see if it's what you need.


I would choose Open Cart for a small site and Magento for a large huge site or if I was a developer deploying multiple sites for my clients.

I left Magento because it runs and I don't consider paying for a dedicated server to be cost effective for my size.

No comments: